A New Room

living-room-collage1t

I thought I would share a few photos of what consumed our lives for the entire summer. Seriously, I have no clue how I produced a single painting, as my mind was completely focused on windows, floors, and soft furnishings.  Our house was originally built around 1868 and is technically a Victorian style bungalow, and although it’s full of charm and character, it was very small.  So small that when we transferred our mortgage to our new bank they had to follow some sort of special procedure to ensure that we weren’t mortgaging a shed. No kidding.

Our main source of inspiration came from a Hooked On Houses profile on THIS HOUSE. Sigh. That ceiling. It’s really all about the ceiling.  Here in chilly southern Ontario, you don’t see a lot of ceilings like that, possibly because they tend not to be winterized? Clinging to that vital piece of inspiration we contacted Build, who happily rose to the challenge of creating a space that both fit into the style of our existing cottage, but also gave a great big nod to our inspiration cottage.  We are so happy with the result.

So aside from the ceiling, here are a few design sources if you are interested. Oh and one more thing, our ‘before’ wasn’t really that bad.  They had already pulled off the white siding, giving it that ‘fresh shack’ look.

The fireplace tile is Touareg from Tabarka Studio. Teal sofa is from Southern Furniture Company– I think it’s the Grace sofa.  Console, dining room table and chairs, Cornerstone Furniture in Cambridge, Ontario. Jute rug Ikea.  Wall colour is Cloud White from Benjamin Moore. Oh and my dad made the fireplace mantel and bookcases!

FOR MORE PICTURES PLEASE CLICK HERE.

21 Responses to “A New Room”

1. Cozy & classic. I always try to have a room feel like a hug when I enter and I see you’ve accomplished that, enjoy!

2. Think special mention should be made of your grandparents drum table! How happy they would be to see that painted white and in your wonderful room. Don Mills, Skiff Cove in Wellington and now Stratford.
    Also John’s contributions – reading chair, cabinet from his pre Janet life!

3. hi sweet janet,i believed that your home would be like your paintings style decor so lovely and elegance but it is very beautiful this too!!enjoy and make us a paint of it with you….!

• The original part of the house is a little more like my paintings, but we tried to blend equal parts masculine and feminine for this space!

4. that is so sweet to you to say, and that s why i adore all the” kidnapping stories…”because i live my memories sweet romance with the one i love and share everything like a storybook!!i am in your paintings through your talent!regards and thank you sweet janet!

5. Absolutely beautiful! I love seeing the potential of a small home 🙂 I am about to use cloud white on my walls and seeing how warm it looks in your space is reassuring!

6. Janet I love how Rory from Build pays attention to the details of classic design. I’m glad you chose his company to realize your dream space. Congratulations to you for the hard work and perseverence. I bet it was fun choosing the furniture and decor though!

7. I believe that I have finally won the cloud white war with hubby because of your room and hope to have a lovely white living space of my own soon! Cloud White girls unite!

• Yay! I was a little afraid of the white, thinking it might be stark, but it’s really not. It seems to absorb colour and it’s very warm and rich feeling.

8. That ceiling! That tiled border around the cozy fireplace! Those bookshelves! Janet, it’s beautiful!