Elaina Of The Everglades

Elaina-Of-The-Everglades-lg

I’ve been wanting to post about this for some time but with things being rather hectic for the past few months, it has been really put on the back burner, or perhaps even worse,  buried in the bottom of my closet- a terrible terrain where certain things disappear and are rarely, if ever, seen again.

Last year I began working on a book.  It started off as the book for my ‘Black Walnut Manor’ series but morphed quickly into something else entirely- as things often do with me ….  I start off painting a duck and it turns into a woman pirate with three strokes of a brush.  I think the book is best described as illustrated fiction- possibly magical realism, and to be truthful, it likely has no place in the publishing world.  It is not for children- although, possibly suitable for twelve and up and it contains almost as many pictures as text, but it is not a graphic novel- so it would occupy a funny place in the adult book market- that is if one even exists.  Do adults read picture books?

The story is told through a series of vignettes and character profiles that all interconnect.  It is whimsical, a little dark, and according to those who have read it, humorous as well.   Perhaps it is more a piece of visual art than a book.  Whatever it may be,  I have really enjoyed working on it and I hope to return to working on it soon. In fact, this random post is likely a kick in my own pants to get myself to finish it,  so that I can reveal more about it aside from the one character, ‘Elaina Of The Everglades’  who I will only say, possesses certain magical gifts.

My apologies for those who have been waiting patiently for new original work to appear.   My time is really divided right now- but I’m hoping to have a still life completed in the next day or two.  Something spring-like and cheery.

10 Responses to “Elaina Of The Everglades”

1. Cherol Nellon

What you are describing sounds wonderful, Janet. I can’t speak for all adults, but this adult would treasure such a book. I wouldn’t worry about finishing it. I don’t think you really have a choice in the matter. Some things are simply meant to be.

2. your work is gorgeous, can i sign up for email alerts when new paintings come out? what is the best way to get the news? i would love one of your original works.

regards,
    jennifer
    austin, tx

• Hi Jennifer,
      On my website (home page) near the bottom there is a section called ‘Social’ that provides links to my facebook/twitter/ and blog feed. If you click on one of those links and subscribe to one, that is typically the fastest way to find out when an original is for sale.

3. I’m not sure if it’d be every adult’s cup of tea, but I’m sure a lot of adults would really enjoy what you’re describing (I know I would!) Adults should have more picture books to treasure!

4. This sounds like a fantastic project, no doubt it will be brilliant and beautiful as all of your works!

5. Your project is brilliant. With so many followers and such fine work, it will be a treasure for so many, myself included. Put me on the list as number one for reserved books! ( seriously). Our world is so visual today and coffee table type books still grace tasteful home and spread the word well.
    Your work is so sumptuous! Just follow your bliss, it’s leading you nicely.

6. How fabulous! I can’t wait for your book to be published. Hopefully you will be able to ship your book to Australia 🙂

7. I just love the idea of this book! If there is not currently a place for such a work in the publishing world, I do hope that you might be the first to make one. It seems rather a sin that such a project should not see the light of day!

Will you ever eventually offer the original of Elaina or the other paintings for your book for sale? This piece is simply stunning, and my Kathleen painting would surely love a companion!

• I’m not sure what will happen with the book images. Some of them are a little strange, but others may stand alone. If I decide to sell them, I’ll definitely give fair warning!

8. Hi Janet,

This sounds absolutely amazing – I for one would definitely enjoy such a treat. Perhaps, if a publisher wouldn’t take it on, you could try doing a limited print run of your own and selling it in your shop to test the waters? I’m sure you’d find a fair few of us willing to take this work into our homes and treasure it.