Champion

Champion, oil on canvas, 11"x14".  Sold.

On occasion I find myself wondering if my work is too pretty.  I know it's not exactly dark and brooding but does it cross a line of being too decorative?  I was pondering this the other day while I scuttled around the house putting my income tax return together (last minute).  I then jumped in the car and drove in the pouring rain to the post office.  During my two minute drive (yes, lazy of me) I encountered a pretty bad road rage incident (thankfully not directed at me for once).  When I parked my car at the post office, I got out and witnessed a big red faced guy shouting at the parking meter guy about a ticket he had just received.  His language made me blush and I don't blush easy.  I then stood in line for about twenty minutes amongst a group of grumbling fellow taxpayers.  No one was happy.  Everything was damp and grey and loud and it dawned on me that maybe it's not such a bad thing to paint the prettier things in life.  Especially on the days where beauty seems scarce.  And that is my deep thought for the day.

7 Responses to “Champion”

1. I’d go a step further… your work is GORGEOUS!! Nothing wrong with being gorgeous:)

2. Janet – Please don’t ever change! Your subjects are beautiful…truly a gift to those of us who can see that in your work. The world is in desperate need of beauty and “pretty”… and you bring that to world via your art. Thank you so very much!

3. I totally agree with Barb! Janet, you are a storyteller with your blogs, paintings, subjects and life! You really keep us all wonderfully entertained with you sense of humor and beauty… You rock!

4. Janet your work is beautiful and that is the reason for the appeal with your work. It captures a bygone era, your stills are stunning and interiors ones we could just jump right in the portrait. There are different artist for different taste and your pieces are unique and very special. You are amongst my very favorite living artist and my desire to keep collecting your work only increases with each new work that is posted. I can stare at my paintings forever especially Lavinia, now she is the crown jewel!!!

5. I think the world contains enough depressing paintings. Your work is uplifting, fun, and does contain an edge of something I can’t quite name, but would certainly not call overly decorative/pretty. Some of your paintings of women are devious. I like that.

6. You and the Ladies here were right, Janet. There’s nothing wrong with more light and happiness, a drop of optimism and smile, in this sometimes-weird world. We need your arts (I never purchased one, but I often Etsi-ed them)… so do please continue working. One day if I’m lucky, I may be able to purchase an original painting from you. That would be my delight.

7. Emily

Your paintings are absolutely stunning. (I am fortunate to own two of them.) They are playful, and show a great sense of humor.

I agree with Ashley–there’s a certain edge to them. Maybe it’s like there is a little wink in each one?