Kathleen would never be described as beautiful, but there was something extraordinary about her.  8"x10".  Oil on canvas.  Sold.

The first line of Gone With The Wind always bothered me:   'Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tartleton twins were'.   In my mind Scarlett was one of the most beautiful women in literature.  The problem is that I watched the movie first- many times before reading the actual book.  And lets face it, Vivian Leigh is gorgeous.  I've never been able to reconcile that first line with how I perceive Scarlett and so I choose to ignore it.

I'm not sure if it's fair to say that about Kathleen here, but maybe that is for the viewer to decide?

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments and suggestions about my painter's funk.  I'm working my way through it.  I watched some trash tv- my God those ladies on the Housewives of New Jersey do get up to some crazy fighting....and I made homemade soup at a strange hour and I've been listening to the Rolling Stones a lot.  Not sure what will come out of it, but at least I'm not feeling completely stagnant anymore.

12 Responses to “Kathleen would never be described as beautiful, but there was something extraordinary about her”

1. Jaw-droppingly beautiful! Only you could produce this amazing work while in a creative funk!

2. Wish I were as plain as Kathleen; she’s gorgeous.

Looks as if the funk is over!

3. Well, she is beautiful, indeed…
    I love your paintings, you are so inspiring!

4. That is exactly how I feet about Scarlett O’Hara in GWTW, and I too watched the movie first – I think it’s fair to blame it on Vivien Leigh, she is stunning! I also find this print stunning – love your work! It makes me want to pick up a brush and paint.

5. I’ve been wanting to buy one of your original oil paintings. Then I lost your url for about a year. Glad I found it again. Now I will check every single day so that I get a chance to buy a painting.

6. Hello!

I just stumbled across this gorgeous painting of yours. Some strange things – Kathleen’s colouring is excatly like my mother’. My mother’s name is Kathleen…and her maiden name O’Hara. She was nicknamed Scarlett at school! Funny how these vibes seem to travel around the world sometimes.

I adore your paintings and am a painter myself, with a similar aesthetic, except maybe not as grown-up! Working on a hatbox piece at the moment.

Thanks so much for sharing your work and life – your blog is fantastic!

~ Jess