Monster Lobster!

It's that special time of year again...my second most dreaded time of year aside from 'Shocktoberfest' which is John's 'Birthday Week'.  Yes, I have a husband who has a 'birthday week'.  I think I've complained about this before in previous posts, but just in case anyone has forgotten,  John's 'birthday week' is a time honored tradition of torture for me.  Something happens to this 42 year old man and he reverts back to being a little boy.  There's cake, there's pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, milkshakes and soft serve ice cream.  Every night it's a different fast food that I have to treat him to and listen as he plans his next meal.  It's so strange.  Fortunately he loves Indian food, so at least we get to upgrade tonight to a nice restaurant.

In some ways I shouldn't complain as he doesn't demand gifts- although, he doesn't shy away from them either.  This year I decided to give him a 'bonus gift' in exchange for a non-fast food evening (didn't work).   I designed a 'Monster Lobster' poster.  This needs explaining doesn't it?  While most couples discuss their plans for the day over breakfast, John and I has a weirdo tradition of making up plots for fake movies.  Monster Lobster is the result of this.  Basically it's about a small New England town that is terrorized by these giant lobster monsters.  True, it's a total cliche but there are dance numbers in it- even the giant lobsters get down.  There's a lot of 'science' and a hero 'Brave Skipper Bo' who saves the day.   Fascinating.

Anyway, he appears to quite like his gift (I framed it and everything) but now it appears that this will become part of the tradition of 'Birthday Week'.  A new movie poster every year.  Sheesh, what have I done?

17 Responses to “Monster Lobster!”

1. Speaking of birthday weeks, I recently received a Janet Hill original for mine! I keep meaning to tell you how much I love it, so here goes: I love it!

2. Bruce Barber

The poster is great, J. You realize that, tradition aside, you may have stumbled upon a sideline. There’s a market for this sorta stuff. 😉 sf/horror geeks are everywhere…

3. This is FANTASTIC! And I share your pain, my little sister has a ‘birthday week’. Yet somehow I don’t have a birthday week? Little sisters get all the luck.

While I’m a big fan of your usual work too, this movie poster is so darkly humored–I really love it 🙂

4. Growing up, my family actually forgot my birthday (a la Sixteen Candles) not once, but twice. So, as an adult, I pretty much just decided birthdays don’t exist. Not running the risk of that ever happening again! Guess that’s why I get so many presents for myself.

Oh, and I wish I could remember the name of it, but there really was an old B-movie about monster lobsters that attacked humans and turned them into other monster lobsters. “They once were people, and now they are lobsters.” I’ve never forgotten it. Such pathos. There must be a way of looking it up. . . but I’m sure their poster wasn’t nearly as cool as yours.

5. Hi Susan,

I’ll have to look that up and compare movie posters. Something tells me that their lobsters would likely be more scary than mine. I based mine on a man dressed in a lobster costume standing outside of a seafood shack.

6. OMG, this is totally awesome and yes, there is a market out there for this style of artwork. Just try walking the LA Artwalk and you’ll find that there are “Three Headed Men From Mars” or “The Mixer That Ate It’s Kitchen Mistress”! You’re on to something, girl! I am eager to see what your vivid imagination comes up with next…. Simply love it! Love you too!

7. Josephine

Lol! Love the story/inspiration behind your ‘Lobster Monster” creation. Your poster would be right at home next to “Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman” and “Attack of the Crab Monsters”.

8. Jasmin

What an original and unique gift your husband received on his Bday! Love it!!

9. The movie was done on the cheap. It’s been years since I saw it, but I don’t recall them actually showing the lobsters–they were all off camera. I think there were only minimal shots of “water,” too. It was lots of sand and rocks–obviously shot in a studio, not on location. And no musical numbers! Yours would have been way better. 😀

You could sell prints of that poster!

BTW, happy birthday to your husband.

10. Crichardwriter

You think it is bad that your husband has a birthday week, I actually had a former boss who had “the 12 days of Paige”. And the funny thing is, everyone actually fell for it bringing her candy, ice cream, little gifts, etc… Your commments made me laugh just thinking about it. I thought it was pretty clever to extend her birthday this way, and declare it to everyone so that they actually participate. I really think that you should have a week for your birthday as well, and come up with all of your favorites so that your husband will have to reciprocate. By the way, I love the poster!

11. genius, my dear!!!

you MUST open a shop for these style of paintings, or a new section in your shop maybe ? fantastic!!

12. Hi! I stumbled across your artwork/etsy site quite by accident while perusing a new blog. I was so happy to see you’re from Canada as well! I’m an instant fan. But the lobster poster?! LOVE! I hope you consider making a print. I would certainly purchase one! Now, I really must get back to looking at your lovely artwork! 🙂