Shocktoberfest

My husband has taken to calling what he once referred to as 'The Thirty Days of Halloween' to 'Shocktoberfest'. I'm surviving it- I think. I don't mind watching horror films every now and then, but for thirty days straight is a little much. I've had a few nightmares, and likely have put on an extra pound thanks to the wine I've been drinking to calm my nerves during the films. If I had to pick one of the better ones, I would say that a Spanish film called 'The Baby's Room' pretty much hits the 'Shocktoberfest' mark. It actually made me leap out of my chair and scream. It's one of the scenes where you think you seen something terrifying, in fact, you know you have, and can't believe what you just saw (because it's on the screen for a split second) and you don't want to reverse the film because you know you will never be the same. You know? And for anyone who's seen the film...it's the scene with the man/thing under the bed. Yikes! Anyway, I would like to think that my husband isn't trying to terrify me, rather he's just trying to give me all the knowledge that I would need in case anything ranging from a serial killer to a giant squid monster were to come after me. I would like to think that I wouldn't run up the stairs (if we had them) and not out the door. I've also learned that it's the most unlikely of weapons that always saves the final girl in the end, like an apple press or a magnet.

7 Responses to “Shocktoberfest”

1. Anonymous

I think your husband has the right idea! Hallowe'en is the best time of the year. And I think I know what movie featured the apple press – was it 'Behind The Mask'?
    Sadly, my wife would never let me subject her to a month of horror movies. Oh well.

2. Anonymous

So glad we will be there to see the grand fanale but I'm happy to have missed the buildup to the big day.

3. Janet Hill

That's right! It was 'Behind The Mask'. I didn't really mind that one.

4. Corinne Gomez

Yikes! I wonder what movie will be the one your hubby will end the month with… any ideas?
    I just returned from my trip to Boston and DC… the ghost tours were fun…
    Ask your hubby if he has seen The Beast With Five Fingers, with Peter Lorre… or The Changeling with George C. Scott… if he hasn't, he might want to add them to his collection… for you, I recommend a nice bottle of Lambrusco or Moscato to relax the night away!
    Happy Halloween!

5. Janet Hill

Hi Corinne,

Oh yes, he has seen those two films- and we have the Changeling, he has that on the list for movies to watch this month. I think we have about 2000 films at least (not all horror of course). Finding space for all this nonsense is tough. Fortunately, we have a very tasteful apothecary cupboard and he's removed the outer covers on many of the films and put them into sleeves, and that seems to take a lot of them. Good grief!

6. Janet Hill

I should also mention that I've tried to be sneaky about getting out of the horror film watching, like planning a night out. Unfortunately, when we get back, he finds some 'old chestnut' that's a short film and insists that we watch it.

7. Corinne Gomez

I think that it's wonderful that your hubby wants to include you in his interests. I have one just the same, of course, this is when I feel like he's Pepi Le Pew… The wine comes in handy.
    As a young bride, I used to complain to my mother of my husband's inerest in every sport imagineable, then she said something very interesting to me. "You are one of the lucky ones to know where your husband is every night, with you".
    Oh, I just remembered: Ask your husband about Something Evil by Steven Spielberg? It is so scarry and entertaining.
    Prince Finnegan is so cute amongst the Halloween decor!