Joy Of Cooking Still Reigns

Last night I had my mother-in-law over for a belated Canadian Thanksgiving. I decided to do the whole spread in hopes of impressing her- turkey, stuffing, gravy, carrots, yams....even though my experience with cooking meat, and doing fiddly things like gravy making is pretty much non-existent. I consider myself to be a Nigella-type cook (a little of this and a lot of that) and basically play around with recipes. Something told me that you can't really play around with gravy. This made me nervous. What also made me nervous was that my parents who usually do the whole Thanksgiving thing, were away on some lovely island off the coast of Vancouver and I felt badly phoning them to ask about gravy. So, I phoned my brother (who lives in Vancouver) and bothered him. He kept talking about ounces and grams and before I knew it, I was confused. Then I remembered my mother had some badly battered copy of 'The Joy Of Cooking' in her recipe cupboard. Thank God! Sure, there are recipes for squirrel and various other rodents, but the pan gravy recipe was clear and concise, and with a little hand holding, I produced some darn good gravy. Well, at least that's what my husband and mother-in-law said. Maybe, they were just being nice....

I also fell in love with the look of this tattered book. I think I may have to paint it.

8 Responses to “Joy Of Cooking Still Reigns”

1. Girlfrog

You should certainly paint it, that book is beautiful because of all the love and use it has gotten. Can you even imagine all the wonderful meals it has helped to produce?

2. Janet Hill

Good point- I probably ate quite a few of the meals when I was growing up!

3. Design Esquire

I have a newer copy of the Joy of Cooking, and my husband and I turn to it for advice all the time. If you paint it, I'm going to try really really hard to buy it in time! I'm sure it will be a beautiful painting.

4. Corinne Gomez

I am so impressed with you "rolling up your sleeves" and taking on the challenge of producing a good gravy! I'll bet it was delicious…
    That reminds me of my recent trip to DC and visiting Julia Child's, well stocked, kitchen which is now featured at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. I took a gazillion pictures and intend to incorporate some of her ideas organization into my "sanctuary for cooking". So charming. I thought of you while there as every angle of her kitchen was one of your charming paintings! I hope that someday you will paint Julia Child's kitchen! Bon Appetit!

5. Janet Hill

Sounds like a great place to visit. I'll have to put it on my list of things to do. Maybe I should start by attempting some of her recipes. One of those real old school ones like Lobster Thermador.

6. Oh, it is a wonderful cookbook. My mom had a very well-used copy in her kitchen when I was growing up. It's still in use, too. I think it's one of those cookbooks that never goes out of style – like Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

7. Victoria

Great Cookbook! I have my grandmother's copy and refer to it all the time – its a classic! In fact it looks just like yours – If you paint it I need it!!!!
    I'll be on the lookout.
    Thanks!!

8. Farmgirl Paints

Saw that Julie and Julia movie, which was great, but the thought of actually cooking anything from that book seems daunting to say the least. Good for you.